Final Fantasy XIV has an expansive world and there is plenty to do. If you are new to the game then you might feel a bit overwhelmed. In this Final Fantasy XIV beginner’s guide, we are going to give you tips and tricks that are going to make things easier for you.
Final Fantasy XIV Tips And Tricks
The following are some tips and tricks that you should keep in mind when playing Final Fantasy XIV:
The Starting Is Slow
Starting the game can be painfully slow. You need to get past the 50-hour mark in order to experience what Final Fantasy XIV really has to offer. There is a huge world waiting for you and there are plenty of activities to take part in and friends to make. If you are new to the game then a sprout icon will be shown next to your character name and other players are going to help you out.
Character Creation And Races
When creating your character, there are plenty of options to choose from. The race that you pick defines what your character is going to look like but it does not affect your stats or how you play the game. The following is what you need to know about the different races in Final Fantasy XIV.
- Hyur: Looks like humans and is the most natural avatar that you can pick in the game.
- Elezen: Elven race that has pointy ears and a willowy physique.
- Lalafell: Cute little race of people that look like Gnomes.
- Miqo’te: Part human and part feline.
- Roegadyn: Hulks with impressive statures, making them naturally gifted warriors.
- Au Ra: Part demon and part human with tails and horns.
- Hrothgar: feline race from Ilsabard.
- Viera: a leporine race of people commonly found in Southern Othard.
Once you have picked the race, you can pick the gender. There is no gameplay difference when it comes to picking the gender but the Hrothgar are only male and Viera are only female.
Know Your Role (Classes And Jobs)
At the start of the game, you can pick from different classes namely; Arcanist, Archer, Conjurer, Gladiator, Lancer, Marauder, Pugilist, or Thaumaturge. Each of these classes introduces different playstyles. As you progress through the game you can specialize your class into specific jobs. Damage dealers are divided into the following jobs:
- Black Mage: Ideal for Thaumaturges, deal high damage with elemental magic.
- Dragoon: Lancer class great at dealing damage at close range and has high mobility.
- Ninja: Ninjas are a progression of the Rogue which can be unlocked at Lvl. 10.
Tanks have high endurance and can absorb a lot of damage. Tanks are divided into the following jobs:
- Warrior: Progression of the Marauder class. Classic tank class that is known for carrying axes.
- Paladin: Tough tank class great for Gladiators.
- Dark Knight: Wields a great sword, unlocked by completing Heavensward’s main story missions.
Healers increase the survivability of the group and can deal damage as well. Healers are divided into the following jobs:
- White Mage: Reliable healers that can deal damage. A natural fit for Conjurers.
- Scholar: Excels at defensive and protective magic. A proactive healer ideal for Arcanists.
- Astrologian: Can apply buffs and special effects.
Other jobs that have been added to the game include Bard, Monk, Summoner, Samurai, Machinist, Red Mage, Gunbreaker, Dancer, Sage and Reaper.
Focus On Main Scenario Quests
When you start the game, you should focus on the Main Scenario Quests. These are great for progressing the game fast and leveling up as well. Main Scenario Quests appear as gold and gray meteors with an exclamation point.
Go Through The Hall of Novice Quests
If you are interested in mastering what the game has to offer fast then we recommend going through the Hall of Novice quests. The are training missions that are going to tell you everything that you need to know about the game and the different responsibilities that you can take up.
Dungeons, Trials, And Raids
You can go through the main missions on your own but you will need to coordinate with other players in order to complete dungeons, trials and raids. You will be put into a team depending on your class. Most of these activities require a tank, a healer, and two DPS players.
Dungeons are story missions take are in a specific area. The party will need to navigate the maze and beat enemies that you encounter on the way. There is going to be a boss at the end that you need to beat in order to complete the dungeon.
Trials comprise of difficult bosses that you need to beat with your team. Trials also have specific mechanics that you need to deal with while you take on the boss.
Raids are combat encounters that require multiple parties to team up in order to complete. These are not available when you start the game but will pop up as you progress. Normal raids require 8 players. Alliance raids are larger and require 24 players.
Use Aetheryte To Fast Travel
When you first start the game, you will need to run around a lot. Once you get to Aetheryte crystals, you can use them to fast travel and move to different points of the map quickly. Interact with Aetheryte crystals whenever you find then in order to unlock fast travel points that are going to make moving around the world much faster.
Eat Food Before Combat Activities
Eating food is going to give you the Well Fed buff. This gives you a 3% XP boost for 30 minutes. This might not seem like much but it can help you level up faster. At the start of the game, this can help you speed up the leveling process. You can find food from different vendors in the game.